Thursday, August 30, 2012

Portion

By 8:49 this morning, I felt the day was destined to fail. I rushed into work, dodging the Glisan St. traffic. My french press was shattered by an inclusion kids basketball. And my wonderful scheme of jeans and watching a movie, instead of taking the kids to the swimming pool, backfired when the sunshine decided not only to shine, but to sparkle and dance like diamonds. We were short staffed, and I was filling in more roles than even a control freak like myself wished to fill. 

It was as I sat at that coffee and crayon stained table that I decided something. I decided that this fail destined day was quickly going to turn into literal Hell unless I chose an alternative. I have been writing the same verse on my hand the past few mornings, and meditating on it until the mid-morning plaster washed it away. This morning, my rush to work dis-allowed me time to write it ... but the memorization goal of the week kicked in and I visualized it. "The Lord is my portion' says my soul. 'Therefore I will hope in Him." Lamentations 3:24. And that was it. My alternative to Hell was allowing the Lord to be my portion. And I decided that I really wanted the Lord to be my portion, and that he was one heck of an alternative. Actually, He was not an alternative at all, but my go to, my foundation, my sparkle like diamonds. 

And I allowed the Lord to be my portion. And I placed my hope in him. And the kids, even the bad attitude kids, had great attitudes, despite promises to the opposite. And my helpless helpers, were helpful. And games that normally don't work, worked. And I didn't miss my french press. 

I taught some campers to play Yatzee. I helped them with math. (HA! I know, I helped with MATH?!) We sat still through a movie. We followed the rules. We were kind to one another. We even pulled off a surprise party for one of the other counselors. 

The day that was destined to fail, became a giant of success. It was my most fun, and most favorite day of camp yet. So, I raise this now french-press-free-glass to say "Here's to the last to days of Camp, come and get it me, for the Lord is MY Portion."

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm... A good verse for memory. I love when "soul" speaks in the bible. It's like what I really want to say or really need to be saying. Thx. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete