Friday, September 21, 2012

Autumn


The first day of fall!

 Ahhh if you only knew of the bubbling bursts of joy in my soul today! After keeping myself awake until 1:45am, watching Fiddler on the Roof, and sewing curtains for the kitchen, I woke at 7:27 bounding with energy to fill the house with the smell of pumpkin! I put on my first hat of the season, and tried my hand at this recipe suggested by my friend Noelle. 

I sat sipping coffee, watching Casablanca, making more curtains. I am wearing my orange sweater, my fall scarff and my slippers. Goal of the weekend is to remember where I stored the fall decorations for our mantle. 

Summer has treated me well. I swam. I wore shorts. I used my Birks well. I got my tan on. I went camping. I went on vacation. I stayed up late. I woke up early. I ate dinner on the porch. I had campfires in the back yard. I went for long walks. I slept with the window open. 

But today, today is the first day of fall. I can complain all I want now if the warm weather returns. I am ready to bundle up. My flip flops are put away. I am starting to think about Christmas presents. I am obsessed with everything pumpkin, and the hopeful changing of the leaves. I am ready for the rain to return, the grass to become green again, and the settled dust of summer to wash away. 

I love each of the seasons, and I love that I live in a city which allows me to see each season. But there is something about Fall that makes me love it most. Maybe it is just the word AUTUMN, that is so much more glorious sounding than the other seasons names. Maybe it is way my green crock-pot looks on the counter, never needing to be put away. Or maybe it is just me, loving fall and the rain that it brings, the way that I have loved it ever since I can remember. 

Autumn, welcome to Oregon. YOU ARE MOST WELCOME TO BE HERE!

1 comment:

  1. From Mama: I LOVE that you love FALL!! I think the thing I love most about Fall is how it reminds me of the Lord's design for change in our lives...your bread recipe sounds divine. Yes, time for pumpkin pancakes from Trader Joes...orange sweaters, pumpkin candles, an autumn kitchen towel or two, pumpkin cake, and leaves, leaves, leaves! Oh, yeah. And that smokey scent lingering in the evening mist.

    ReplyDelete