Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Stay

We met our six giant "man-child" boys in the afternoon. We had a meeting where we got to know each other and get on the same page. When asked if they had anything to share, one brave young man spoke for the rest; "Don't leave." He looked at us earnestly, pleading in his eyes, he left the statement sitting on the table in mid air.

"We drove 3023 miles, just to come live with you. We left everything and everyone we know to be here. We are not leaving."

My words felt so empty. Unconvincing. The silence that followed seemed to echo off the high walls. What could I say to convince them that we were here to stay? What could we do to convince ourselves?

The words were so simple, straight forward. Yet they were complex and vague. These "man-child" boys are like toddlers, crying after a mother who goes to Starbucks without them. They, like the toddler, lack an understanding of time and promises. The mom on the way out the door always says "Honey, I will be right back." But the child wails on, "No mommy, take me with YOU." And these boys, these almost men, they look at us with eyes that say "take me with you."

Coming to Florida, when people asked how they could pray, we asked that you pray that we would be the couple that would "Stay." We have heard the rumors about how many staff have come and gone with this specific group of boys. They are losing all trust and hope. We want so badly to be the people who stay. I want to grab hold of their face and promise them with all my might that I will never leave ... but I cant on a good conscience do that. I get angry about the people in their life who have let them down, who have not fulfilled promises. I get angry at the adults who have left them, who have given them up, or given them back.

We were off shift for the last two weeks. It is always a little nerve wracking coming back, we don't know what unfolded during our absence and we have to muster up all the courage we have. I wonder if any of them will be happy to see me. The school bus brakes release, I hear running feet, "Mr. AUSTIN! Ms. HEATHER!" I am so glad you are here!! I am so glad  you came back!"

We smile. "Yes" we say, "We were visiting family. We are back. We are not leaving. We are here to stay."


1 comment:

  1. Heather, I so love this. The young men in your home are so blessed to have you and Austin....and YOU are blessed to have each of them. I predict they will enrich your lives in ways your didn't anticipate! Love, Mama

    ReplyDelete