Friday, June 19, 2015

Yours, Mine, and Ours

     JUSTICE CONFRENCE

     A few weeks back, Austin and I attended a live stream of the Justice Conference. We both care deeply about social justice, but wanted to find a way to actually apply our lives to the cause, not just turn the radio up when a cause is being talked about. So we went. And the topics discussed pulled on our hearts.

    "When we reduce people to projects, we de-humanize them."
-Eugene Cho

     Austin and I speak often to our boys of things that are de-humaizing. It is a hot topic for us. The boys get tired of our answer to why something is inappropriate, often being "because it is de-humanizing." One of the boys has even starting calling other kids out on it.

      "I don't watch MTV, because I believe the shows that are full of men, making a mockery and          sexual object out of women are de-humanizing." This one was hard for the boys to grasp at first. But now, they don't watch MTV.

     "Using racial slurs, even out of 'sarcasm' is inappropriate, because it is de-humanizing." The boys still   disagree with us on this, but we are standing firm.

     We talk about classist, racist and sexist issues with them ... on a daily basis. But I didn't recognize was that my own heart was in need of some mending. I care about this issue of treating people with grace and love, and seeing people as people. That is why Austin and I came to Florida, for this very reason of loving "those kids" who are often unloved and overlooked.

     I find myself often thinking about the kids we work with, sighing, and concluding in my heart that "they are just one of those kids." This job is difficult, sometimes it is too difficult. I find myself wanting to give up relationship because it is too hard. I give myself tasks, I start to see them as projects. And in this, I have de-humanized them. And this breaks my heart.

     OUR KIDS, not THOSE KIDS

     It is too easy to write kids off by labeling them "those kids." But what I needed to realize, is that "those kids" are "our kids." They are somebodies kids. They are your neighbors kids. Your sisters kids. They could be your kids. As a community, we/I have a moral obligation to be there for "our kids."

They are not projects.
They are not numbers.
They are not failures.
They are humans.
They are kids.
They are our kids.

     RETURNING TO WORK 

     When Austin and I returned from the conference, we challenged each other in living out these ideas. We concluded that we too easily hide behind our paperwork and think too much about our weeks off. If we truly came to Florida to love on kids, then we need to put pre-conceptions in the garbage bag and see our boys for the people that they are.

     As with Christy Huddleston, I found this to be a challenging task. I tried to view the kids in my life not as mission, not as projects, but as kids. This took me to a whole new place of vulnerability. Missions need enthusiasm. Projects need dedication. But kids, kids need vulnerability. And vulnerability bears all.


No comments:

Post a Comment