Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Summer Camp Season

I work at a day camp. And it has become my life. I come in early, (well... sometimes) because I would rather make and drink my coffee there, hearing about my co-workers nights, than to be alone at home. I stay for long hours. Because I want to see the kids off properly, to see if it is to Moms house or Dads house they go, so I know what to anticipate in the morning. I talk to the kids all day long. And I talk about them all night long when I am home. I lay in bed thinking about them. I have even started dreaming about them! They are becoming my friends! These kids.

I have Treasure, and Fire Cracker, and Gemini. I have Daughter, and Challenge and Patience. There is Pouter, and Encourager and Clinger. And I love them.

Today we had a small group, and I just got to pay attention to them, in very individual ways. I got to learn things about them. I chose to have fun with them.

Gemini and I played War. And I laughed when we got doubles.
I laughed when Patience got jello all over her face, and laughed harder still when I got jello all over mine.
I grieved with Fire Cracker, when she was just having a rough day, and I cheered on Clinger as she faced a challenge!

This job is so much more than a job. Its a life style, and a kingdom chapter. This is very real life, what I am living with these kids. What they share with me. What I choose to share with them. And for now, I am ok with the fact that it has basically become my life. Because it is a season. A short nine week season.

1 comment:

  1. (From Mamma) And EACH of them is so lucky to have you - you who cares about them, how they are, how they behave, how they feel about going to dad's house tonight, and back to mom's tomorrow...you who have come to know and understand their mannerisms, their silences, their expressions, and what they will eat or won't eat in that daily federally sponsored lunch sack. Yes, they have been lucky - blessed- to have you...and you, them! I love that you had this summer season of experience.

    ReplyDelete